Monday, May 16, 2011

Baby Steps

Working with my kids in the class room has been exhausting this year but yet fulfilling. I have learned many things about them and myself during my first year at Eton Academy. What an amazing experience working with kids who are just like me. I can only imagine what I was like at there age. Lack of focus, wondering and random thoughts, off the wall questions right during the teachers demonstration and the list goes on. But, I wouldn't change anything for the experiences I've had this year. I think the hardest part of this year has been "the unknown." New environment, new colleagues, new ways of conducting business, in general my ability to adapt quickly to situations and environments has been a great asset to me. One thing I hope to learn how to do better is saying "no" once in a while. Saying "yes" to things has backed me into a corner more than once this year and at times raising my anxiety/stress to places that they don't need to be. Bu, I dealt with everything just fine, worked through it and got the job done. The best thing about this summer is I know what I need to do to prepare to be more successful in many areas of the classroom. Though one of my biggest challenges will be "balance," that balance between work and home life. Something that must take a precedence in my life.

For now though, I'm going through artwork for the year end art show, cleaning up the classroom (organizing, grading, filing, etc...) trying to set myself up for a successful last few weeks. The one thing I have to remember more than anything is "Baby Steps," even though my A.D.D. attitude wants things done right now-its all about the Baby Steps that will help me build a successful program that will enrich my students for many years to come.

No comments: