Monday, September 5, 2011

Another

Tomorrow starts my second year at the school I'm currently working at and I have to say, though it has been a very relaxing day the excitement is building in me. I've been researching all summer, watching other artist perfect their craft and was even given the chance to teach gifted children this summer. What's the difference between all of that and the students I work with everyday? Nothing! Learning new techniques and methods from my colleagues has only sparked the fire within me. I got to work with several professionals this summer and we all agreed: we believe the level of our students works is because of what we except from ourselves. You may say, that is kind of arrogant to make that statement. The friends I am speaking of all became artist first and teachers' second. I think that makes a difference on how we approach a lesson. I think it is important to take our students through the process or art. Not just come sit down in class and mass produced product to justify mine, theirs and your existence. The arts are so important to everyone and to think some actually have forgotten that, sad. For me its the other side of the spectrum. My idea machine is up and running, and I'm ready to take my students in directions they may not have thought of. Of the many things I love about being an artist and art teacher all falls under two catagories the first being: Higher Order Thinking. Within it: concept formation, critical thinking, creativity/brainstorming, problem solving, rule use, reasoning/logical thinking and mental representation. The second being: The Seven Steps of Design Thinking. Within it: define, research, ideation, prototype, objectives, implement and learn. Depending on the source that you research it may be more than seven but, usually it is seven and possibly even worded different. But, the all follow the same path in there thoughts. Anyway, check out this website to get a brief idea of it, iDesignthinking.com. Well I( have some much needed work to get done and relax for the evening. Cause tomorrow is "another" year that holds great promises and many stories to be told. Let the creativity flow freely through your body and mind, Cheers Mates!

No comments: